It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Freezing Peaches
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:26 am 

Any tips for freezing peaches? I just got a bunch of ripe beauties from a neighbor last night. I'd like to use them next weekend for a peach and boysenberry crisp (the boysenberries are already frozen). I'd also like to use both the berries and peaches from the frozen state. It looks like I need to freeze the peaches in a syrup, and I'm concerned they'll clump together and be difficult to mix with the frozen berries. :?:

Post subject: Peaches
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:46 am 

What if you peeled, sliced, put on flat tray(cover tray with parchment or foil), sprinkle with sugar and then freeze? I think you could then just pop into a baggie and they should stay fairly separate.

Here's a recipe I've been lusting to try the day I meet a nice ripe peach:

Peach-Blackberry Compote with Basil Syrup

Fresh basil, which has a special affinity with peaches, is the secret ingredient in this sophisticated compote. The basil garnish gives guests a clue to the subtle flavor in the syrup. Makes 4 servings, 1 cup each

1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons dry white wine
3 sprigs fresh basil, plus more for garnish
2 each 2 1/2-inch strips orange zest, preferably organic
3 cups sliced peeled peaches (3-4 medium)
1 cup fresh blackberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Combine sugar and wine in small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Add 3 basil sprigs and orange zest; stir to immerse. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
Strain syrup into a small bowl, pressing on basil and zest to release maximum flavor.
Shortly before serving, combine peaches, blackberries, lemon juice and
basil-infused syrup in a serving bowl; toss gently to coat. Serve garnished with basil sprigs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:04 am 
I freeze peaches by peeling and slicing into a bowl of lemon water. I put them into a container adding about 1/4 C sugar/qt of peaches. I sprinkle the sugar in as I put into the container and let the liq come out a bit before I freeze. Works great for me. You will have to defrost before using. I have never tried to freeze on a tray separately but it might be interesting to try. I prefer to use the sugar instead of syrup so I do not have all the liq. in my peaches. I have used them for pie, cobbler, fruit bowl and ??? with success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:27 pm 

Micheline, I thought about freezing them separately on a cookie sheet like I do berries. However, from what I could find, it sounded like it was important to keep them surrounded by the juices during freezing. The recipe sounds wonderful; I don't blame you for lusting. :wink: Thanks! :D

White Swan, someone else just told me pretty much what you mentioned. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and lemon juice to extract the juices a little before freezing. That's probably what I'll do. I hate to mess this up since these peaches are absolutely perfect. I sure wish we still had our peach tree. Thanks much! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:40 am 
When I canned or froze peaches in the past, I discovered that it is important to use a citric acid to keep them from changing color. Dipping them into lemon water will do the trick but you can also buy a dry version in a jar. I can't remember the name of the product right now but you will find it in the same section where canning supplies are. If you don't do this, you peaches will turn brownish and no longer be that beautiful color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:04 am 

Leni, I think it's called "Fruit Fresh" or something like that. :?: I'm hoping the lemon juice I used will do the trick. I've never been all that crazy about frozen peaches. If the ones I froze yesterday don't look like they'll work, I think I'll try to find some at the market early enough to ripen in time. I'll just have to keep all fingers and toes tightly crossed that they'll taste as good. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:21 am 
Yes, it is Fruit Fresh. I think that the lemon will work. If they change color, it does not affect the taste. My peach tree died last year and boy, do I miss it! I've frozen apples, peaches, apricots and boysenberries. I've then used them in baking or making icecream. The only thing that I have noticed is the extra juice that Melinda is always talking about when things defrost. So, I just use a little extra thickener or boil down the juice a bit before making my pie. I have a Baskin Robbins close to me. Today is my day to run errands so if time permits, I'll drop in and ask them about their icing. That means I'll have to get a Rocky Road icecream cone however. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:48 pm 

Leni wrote:
Today is my day to run errands so if time permits, I'll drop in and ask them about their icing. That means I'll have to get a Rocky Road icecream cone however. :wink:

That would be great! :D Could you pick up a Pralines and Cream cone for me? :wink: