It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Use of Unborn Calf as Food
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:02 am 
Growing up, there were just ribs and spareribs, either beef or pork. Now I find that "Baby Back Ribs" refers to pork ribs.

It seems that the first time I heard the term "baby back ribs" was after college, in the late '60's or early '70's and it referred to a new (and short lived) attempt to market unborn (fetal) calf meat.

Does anyone else remember this marketing campaign? Was this the origin of the term "baby back ribs"? Did I I correctly remember the marketing ploy but misremember the terminology? Or have I completely lost it and there never was such a marketing attempt?

I was in Virginia/Georgia/Texas during this period if region is factor.

Thanks for any hints as to how this got into my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:53 am 
Curious.... What are you trying to do stir up a wasp's nest? PETA is suing a school in Kern Country that does pig castration in an agriculture class. Of course the small community school is in the farm area of Kern Co. You are speaking of veal and the vegans, Peta, etc. had a field day with that and all the misinformation that resulted from their charges. Since you have a computer you can look up in the web sites for info and try to find the correct info. I'd suggest you try your local farm bureau for up to date info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:35 pm 
I'm not certain of the origin of the term but I'm sure you could google it and get the answer. As White Swan said, a farm bureau or agriculture school might be able to provide the answer. I do not remember the campaign you refer to but then I grew up in the San Fernando Valley. I have my doubts about marketing fetal calves meat. There wouldn't be much meat and just how would you harvest it? It would certainly be difficult and very hard on the cow. I can't see cattlemen doing this so I suspect this is just another one of those urban legends.

Post subject: Re: Use of Unborn Calf as Food
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:20 pm 

Curious wrote:
Or have I completely lost it and there never was such a marketing attempt?

I lived in the mid-west during the '60s and '70s, and never heard of this! Actually, I had not ever heard of baby back ribs until some TV commercial started singing its praises. I doubt that these restaurants are serving up any kind of veal!

Post subject: Re: Use of Unborn Calf as Food
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:55 am 
I appreciate your replies and can assure you that I am seriously interested in a tracking down a past marketing campaign and am not interested in stirring up controversy.

I tried google and other search engines to investigate the historical uses of unborn calves but found only that, currently, when cows are slaughtered and fetal calves, be they near term or embyonic, are found, their only approved use, as a food source, is in dog food (though the hides are tanned and sold). That's why I made inquiries here, where people are interested in food and the history of food.

Like "Sandy Toes", the only time I had heard the term Baby Back Ribs was in a Chili's commercial . . . except for that time, a long time ago, when, I think, the purveyers of beef were trying to turn collateral kill into a new market of "super veal" and literal baby back ribs. And the advertising didn't mince words but celebrated "unborn" like others had celebrated "veal".

I have memories that my (ex)wife liked veal and was curious but (if she bought some) neither of us could bring ourselves to sample it.

Sorry if anyone was offended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:52 pm 
No offense taken. It is an odd topic though. Have you tried the local farm bureau or cattlemens association? The FDA might have some info. In the meantime just keep an eye of this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:10 pm 

Just had a flash-back to the Kennedy/Onassis days...there was a big deal made of them dining on "unborn" something-or-other, aboard his yacht. You might check the archieves of the tabloids?