It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can frozen prime rib roast be baked without thawing?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:34 am 
I find thawing causes the meat to lose a lot of liquid. Can I start by roasting it at a very high heat (500 F) to start and lower the heat to 300 F
for however long it takes to cook it medium rare?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Love your show!! learned a lot!!.

Sincerely,

Marge Hurst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:38 pm 

Marge
In my humble opinion, the long answer is NO! I believe the first time you try, the reason will be obvious. By the time the center reached med-rare, the outer portion would be saddle leather. I would be inclined,if you have experienced a problem with moisture loss in the past, would be to try a slow defrost in your refrigerator for at least two days, much as you would do with poultry. Personally, I would never freeze a prime rib. Getting one done perfectly is tricky enough, without starting from a frozen state.

Post subject: Can frozen prime rib roast be baked without thawing?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:42 pm 

Marge, In my huimble opinion, I don't think an expensive piece of meat like prime rib should be frozen in the first place. It will definitely lose flavor, texture, and nutrients. But since it is frozen, you will need to defrost it before cooking. I suggest you defrost it in the refrigerator. Depending on the size of the roast, it could take up to 2 or more days to defrost.

Click on "Recipe Archives" and type the word "Prime" in the search box. Melinda has six recipes listed, but the first one, "PRIME RIB ROASTED TWO WAYS" is the one you are looking for. If gives you explicit instructions on how to prepare your prime and explains the "why."

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:43 pm 

I definitely agree with foodguy and Gloria. Also, I bring the meat to room temp before cooking. I've basically used Melinda's "traditional" method for roasting prime rib for years and it's been great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:41 pm 

Champagne
I'm with you on the room temp concept. I used to be scared to death of Prime Rib, because I only do it maybe once a year. The last couple of times I've followed Melinda's advice, and the results have been perfection.
I'm sure Gloria and I were typing our responses at the same time. I just happened to hit the "submit" button first. I find it so odd, that in preparing a prime rib roast, which requires a certain amount of technique, thought, and luck, that we so easily achieve such consensus. But, bring up what should be something simple, like Ice Tea, or a proper Tuna Sandwich, and the "food fight" is on.
Maynard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:02 pm 
I agree with all of you. I'd never try to roast anything that is frozen for the reasons already stated.

I don't think that there are too many ways you can cook a prime rib sucessfully but there are a lot of different ways to make a tuna sandwich or iced tea. That's when the fun begins. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:40 pm 

Holiday Dinner
A woman travelled to her daughters home for the holidays. While they chatted in the kichen, the daughter was preparing a lovely prime rib roast. After preparing the roast, the daughter cut two inches from one end. She then pulled out a large roasting pan and rack, and placed the roast on the rack, and slid it into the oven. The mother asked "why did you cut two inches from that beautiful roast?" The daughter replied, "because you always did." The mother responded, "yes, but I only had a twelve inch roasting pan."

Just when you hoped it wouldn't get worse!

Maynard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:57 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

foodguy, that is my absolute favorite story regarding "traditional family recipes"!

Very timely posting as we approach the fall and winter holidays! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:02 am 

Very cute, foodguy! :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:21 am 
MAYNARD

Are you sure that isn't a Blonde joke???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:10 pm 

Ralph was sitting at a bar, sipping a drink and watching the 1100pm news on the TV above the bar. A blonde walked in and sat in the empty stool next to Ralph. Shortly after, a segment came on, with )))))) footage of a "jumper" perched on the ledge of a high rise building. Ralph turned to the blonde, and said "I bet he jumps". The blonde replied $20 says he dosn't. Ralph covered the bet. Sure enough, he jumped. The blonde said well, fair is fair, the money is yours. Ralph said, "I can't take your money, I confess that I saw the 600pm news, and knew he would jump". The blonde replied, "I saw the 6 o'clock news as well, I just didn't think he'd do it twice." Ralph took the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:11 pm 
GROAN! White Swan, did you have to encourage him? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:32 pm 

foodguy wrote:
The blonde replied, "I saw the 6 o'clock news as well, I just didn't think he'd do it twice." Ralph took the money.

Hey, I'm blonde! Why did he did do it twice? (:lol: :? :P :wink:)