It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wall ovens - gas vs. electric
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:48 pm 

Hi All, I am in the market for a new wall oven and was surprised that there are very few GAS wall ovens. Does anyone know why? There are 24 in gas wall ovens and Viking has one 30" gas wall oven that is 2900.00 and does not have self cleaning feature! I think I have narrowed by choice down to a Bosch 500 series electric oven. Does anyone have any problems with their Bosch Wall Oven?

Post subject: Re: Wall ovens - gas vs. electric
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:47 pm 

Guts is the one who can answer your questions about ovens. He installs them and other kitchen appliances.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:51 pm 

JulieD I believe consumers gravitate toward electric ovens for more even heat, convection features, and of course; self cleaning. These are big deals. So, I would definetly go electric. As far as the brand goes, I might be inclined to call a couple of repair/service shops that specialize in many brands. Ask - What brands do you service least? I have a Bosch dishwasher that has given good service, and is very quiet. My Dacor range/oven have performed well, and are manufactured in California. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:15 pm 

I agree with Maynard. Electric ovens beat gas ovens, if for no other reason, the even heating. I have lots of friends with new homes and they still use gas range tops and electric ovens. You can get those combinations easily.

Hope this helps:)

Marlene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:50 am 

I try to answer what I can here. Electric ovens need no venting (codes very by city) I see mostly Electric ovens most of the time. One reason is they can be put in a base cabinet away from a cook top/ no sense in standing in front of a screaming hot oven when using the burners on the cook top. If changing from Gas to Electric things to think about; is the gas line in the way? do I have to run new electric circuits for the new Electric oven? And reverse if going the other way Electric to Gas. Some of the euro models have special needs as far as electrical supply. Is it going to fit in my cabinetry or will It need modification.
Bosch is a good brand along with others on the market.
My personal feelings, electric will give a even cooking temperature/ a good thing... Gas will get hotter faster and recover faster. This is my opinion only! I like Gas. But most of the high end kitchens I have done use Electric Ovens...
Ditto what Maynard said and Myrtle said :D
note; shop around there are some great deals out there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:00 pm 

Thank you for your opinions. Since we are starting from scratch I can choose either gas or electric. Although we did not put 220 in for electric, we will have the electrician do that. I often wondered about the evenness of heat on gas vs. electric. I think I have chosen a Bosch wall oven. I hope all goes well.

Julie