It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you reheat ONION RINGS?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:48 pm 

How do you reheat onion rings so they are crisp and not soggy?

We ate out yesterday and ordered one serving of onion rings to share. There were enough onion rings on the plate to sink the Bismark! :shock: Couldn't possibly eat them all, so brought the leftovers home. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:28 pm 

Gloria, I've got a couple of ideas. First get a deep fryer going and once it reaches the right heat, drop the onion rings into it just long enough to reheat. The other idea is to set your oven on 450 and then put a single layer of the rings on a grid and let them heat up. A grid could be as simple as anything that will hold items off the pan below them. As in the broiler pan grill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:03 pm 

Gloria

You don't even try. Just eat them cold. They are great that way! They stay crisp, and you don't have to agonize over the results/or lack there -of. Dunk them in Ketchup,wasabi, or chilli sauce; and have fond memories of how they tasted when they were hot.

Just a random thought.

Maynard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:31 pm 

Leni and Maynard, thank you both. I decided to go with Leni's suggestion. Worked really well. All the onion rings have gone to their final resting place (at least for a few hours :lol:) Maynard, there are foods I like cold (corn on the cob and stufffed steak to name a couple), but somehow cold greasy onion rings didn't peak my fancy. Thanks for the suggestion though! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:23 pm 

Now you see Gloria:

This is where the phrase "individual preference" comes into play. I could never face cold corn on the cob. Cold onion rings seem perfectly palitable. I will always wonder where peoples food preferences come from. My daughter is a "nut case". I have given up trying to cater to her tastes. I just serve it up. You want to eat? Here it is.

Maynard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:20 pm 

Hey Gloria, which of the two methods did you decide to use? By the way since we grow our own corn, we frequently pick and just eat it right then. No cooking needed. :D :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:58 pm 

Leni wrote:
which of the two methods did you decide to use?

I used the oven method. Thank goodness I have a LARGE rectangular pizza pan. I put a grid (or whatever Alton Brown calls them) inside the pan, put the onion rings, single layer, on top and baked for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. The temperature and time were just a guess. But we were both satisfied with the results.

As for corn, I will either cook it earlier in the day or the day before, to allow it to get refrigerator cold. Cold corn with butter and salt is addicting!

If I ever have the pleasure of getting fresh corn, directly from the garden, I would definitely try it al-natural. Really sounds good! :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:04 pm 

I would have just put them in a hot, preheated oven, in a single layer on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan and baked them until they were hot and crisp. Then I would have placed them in single layer on top of a few layers of paper towels, to absorb any excess fat. :)

Now you've got me wanting onion rings!

Post subject: Re: How do you reheat ONION RINGS?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:06 am 

Gloria wrote:
If I ever have the pleasure of getting fresh corn, directly from the garden, I would definitely try it al-natural. Really sounds good! :D :D :D

Gloria, it's incredible!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:42 pm 

Gloria, then one of these days you are going to have to get on your horse and come visit us in our garden. The corn is so good that we frequently eat it right off the stalk without cooking it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:01 pm 

Leni wrote:
Gloria, then one of these days you are going to have to get on your horse and come visit us in our garden.

Yes, definitely! Thank you. :D

Simply, sugar alcohols are not the same thing as sugar. I stopped buying "sugar free" a long time ago for the very reason you stated. For a real laugh, you need to compare regular Oreo cookies with sugar free Oreos. Same calories, more fat, more carbs, and twice the price! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:28 pm 

Gloria

Please see my post on another thread, about the "food police", and other nonsensical politically correct topics.

Maynard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:48 pm 

Maynard, you don't give yourself enough credit. You have mentioned the "food police" in seven posts including this one!

I hope you weren't insinuating that I am part of the food police force. I just think it's dumb to waste money on rediculous things . . . like sugar free products. With that said, I do have to use sugar free syrup on my french toast even though I dearly love real maple syrup. It's a matter of not wanting to go into a diabetic coma! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:59 pm 

Gloria

Now you see, this is how I get in trouble on this site. I have been in trouble with MorCar, Lin, Tamara, and now you. I assume too much. I watch the food network alot. Emirl Lagasse, is a chef on that network.
He uses the phrase "food police". He talks about having to wash his hands after handling raw chicken, having to wash his cutting board; and having to wash the bumper of the car he brought the chicken home .

Now why would I assume everyone watches his show, and is on my page?
Because, I sometimes do not think something, or a concept through!

I don't recall what I said, but that is where the reference of "food police" came from. Sorry.

I should remember my own advice. Always eschew obsufication. (avoid confusion, or vague references.)

Maynard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:07 pm 

Maynard, I didn't understand a word you said in the above post. As for any previous post, I didn't take anything personally. :D